Facts About Breast Lumps
- Nodules in the breasts are common in women because of hormonal fluctuations of the menstrual and breastfeeding
- Emerging nodules that persist during menstruation, should always be examined for breast cancer
What are breast lumps?
Mammary consist of mammary glands and milk ducts. Additionally, there are plenty of fat and connective tissue between the glands. Tumors and nodes can be both in glands and kirtelgange and in fatty tissue and connective tissue. Furthermore, also nodules or lumps in the skin of the mammary glands could be perceived as breast lumps.
Of the nodes that are discovered, the vast majority thankfully benign. In 85% of cases it is women themselves who discover the knot.
Why addressing patient care?
Most women seeking medical advice because of the lump in the breast, do it, because it might be cancer. For most, this means that they seek medical attention immediately. For some causes cancer fear that they do not seek medical before the tumor has become large.
It is a fact that about 4,000 South African women get breast cancer each year. It is a good rule that a lump in the breast could be due to cancer suspicion is ruled out or confirmed.
In some cases, your doctor can easily determine whether it is safe or not, but at least doubt will be made extended investigations to confirm or deny their suspicions.
Age changes in the mammary glands
The mammary glands are affected by hormones, and they change over time. These changes are typical for the different age groups. Breast cancer becomes more common with increasing age. Breast cancer is rare before 40 years.
- Before the age of 25 knots frequent cyst formation (fluid-filled lumps) in the milk ducts, possibly bindevævsknuder or changes in the skin.
- Until 35 years of age it is often with swelling of the mammary glands due to hormonal influences and mælkeansamling in glands. Nodules during breast-feeding are also frequent. Cancer is still rare, but occur.
- Up to age 50 can still find benign nodules in both mammary glands and milk ducts. Bindevævsknuder are also common. But cancer will always be an important diagnostic thinking.
- After 50 years of age there will always be suspect cancer if there is a new lump in a breast. But also in this age group, most nodules be benign.
Many women examine their own breasts regularly. But many nodes are also discovered more randomly, for example during bathing.
Examination by a physician is done by the physician systematically feel chest through to confirm whether there is any node, and the doctor evaluates the extent that it is possible, what kind of node it is all about. If there is the slightest suspicion of a malignant nodule, will be carried out further investigations mammography, ultrasound of the breast or biopsy / surgery directly.