Facts About Urge Incontinence
- Facts About Urge Incontinence
- What urgency incontinence?
- What causes urge incontinence?
- What are the symptoms of urgency incontinence?
- How is it diagnosed?
- What treatment is there?
- How is long-term prospects?
- How do I avoid or aggravate urgency incontinence?
- Related to Urge Incontinence
- Urgency incontinence is the involuntary loss of urine (urinary incontinence) due to sudden, sharp, irresistible urge to urinate (pee)
- Dealt primarily with bladder training, training of the pelvic floor and medicine
- In severe cases, can be attempted with the injection of Botox bladder wall or electrostimulation
What urgency incontinence?
Urgency incontinence is a sudden and strong urge to urinate, which often leads to large urine leaks (leaks). This is because the person is not able to suppress the micturition reflex, so that exhausts a greater amount of urine.
At some shows the state as a frequent and strong urge to urinate (pee) without leaking. This is known as urgency syndrome.
How common is urge incontinence?
- In South Africa indicates 16% of women 40 to 60 years of age that they have urine leakage at least 1 time per week
- International studies show that this is a frequent condition in other countries
- Individuals with urgency incontinence is 10-15% of people who have problems with urination (incontinence genes)
- 35-50% have a mixture of urgency- and stress incontinence
- Stress incontinence , which therefore is the most common condition is characterized by small urinary leakage at, for example, coughing, sneezing and the like
What causes urge incontinence?
- The cause of the condition is often unclear. But incontinence is due to lack of control over urination reflex, so the bladder empties involuntarily
- In most cases, you will find no other disease in the person
- The problem may arise in connection with acute bladder catarrh, infection of the urinary bladder
- It can also be a symptom of the neurological disease, such as multiple sclerosis .
What are the symptoms of urgency incontinence?
The typical symptom is sudden strong urge to urinate, which leads to involuntary loss of urine, if there is a toilet at hand. This type of incontinence is sometimes described as a “front door garagedørs- or incontinence”. This is because the urge to urination triggered by opening the garage door or find the key to the front door. The urge to urinate becomes so powerful that you simply can not reach the toilet before the urine flows.
What symptoms should you pay particular attention to?
Sudden, severe urinary urgency as a cause of urinary incontinence.
How is it diagnosed?
The doctor makes the usually diagnosed based on medical history. A usual medical examination will usually be normal. But in some cases the doctor may find signs of a disease of the nervous system (neurological disease).
If the doctor is unsure of the diagnosis, or treatment does not help, it may be necessary that you are referred to a so-called urodynamic study. Such study involves pressures in the bladder, which can confirm the diagnosis. The study conducted at a hospital or a medical specialist.
Keyhole examination of the bladder out of the question.
What treatment is there?
It found no good treatment for urgency incontinence. The main treatment is to try to train the bladder and pelvic floor muscles.
One possible treatment is pelvic floor exercises. This training consists of pelvic floor exercises. The muscles you train, the muscle is used to interrupt an ongoing urination. The exercises should be performed in a few minutes, two to several times daily. Training of the pelvic floor, however, the greater effects of so-called stress incontinence than with urgency incontinence.
Bladder retraining is also used. This is a carefully structured training program, where you gradually increase the time between urination are. The goal is to regain control of bladder function. Training of the bladder will often not be able to stand alone as the only form of treatment.
Treatment with medication may also be attempted. Both estrogen and called anticholinergics used. The latter medication makes the muscle that empties the bladder becomes less active. This medicine may in some cause side effects, one of which dry mouth, constipation, dry eyes, and dry skin. The treatment allows anyone, but no dramatic improvement. The effect lasts only as long as you take the medicine. You get the best effect of treatment when combined with training of the pelvic floor and bladder.
There are a number of aids for incontinence with which special briefs and diapers. These are available in the pharmacy and in stores that sell health articles. Here you can also get good advice, if you want it. Some of these aids can be withdrawn from a municipal aid center.
How is long-term prospects?
With proper use of tools and treatments available to experience the most improvement. Individual will be completely free of incontinence.
Some are so ashamed of their problems with incontinence that they become socially isolated. Advice to those suffering from incontinence, therefore, is to be open in the genes. This can reduce stress and make socializing easier. This means that you do not have to walk around and be afraid that someone should discover that you have this disease.
Major wear on clothes, bedding, carpets, and the like is a consequence of a continuing need for washing. However, this can go a long way to be prevented by using the various devices.
Any wounds in women can partly be avoided by the use of estrogens. It is also important that you avoid washing yourself too often with soap in this area to avoid fungal infections.
How do I avoid or aggravate urgency incontinence?
There is not much you can do to avoid getting urgency incontinence. But you can do a lot with bladder training and pelvic floor exercises to better genes.