Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (also known as PTSD) is a serious condition that can greatly affect the quality of life for those who suffer from it. As the name suggests, this disorder brought on by the effects of traumatic events after the fact. If you know someone with PTSD, you can help them. Use these steps to learn how to help someone with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Be a good friend. It is important to let the person know you are concerned about him without making him feel embarrassed or ashamed in anyway. Let him know that there are people dealing with the same feelings and that you want him to feel better and be able to live a more full life. How do you approach to the subject is extremely important. It should be a supportive and loving way.
- Research mental health professionals with experience in the treatment of patients with PTSD. If the person you are trying to help are willing to be involved in this process, let her. You may find some resistance. It may be better to look for a reliable therapist, ask your friend to go with you to meet the therapist.
- Take your friend to meet with the trauma therapist you have found. If she is resistant, tell her you are only trying to help and that you will be right next to her side all the way. Tell her about the doctor, you have found and why you think they can help. Reassure her that she is not the only one who has dealt with this and tell her that this particular psychologist has helped others with this same question.
- Understand your friend’s triggers, as he works through them. Many people who suffer from PTSD have certain triggers that will take them mentally back to the traumatic event. This can be a certain sights, smells, noise or voice. These triggers can cause additional stress, flashbacks and even psychotic breaks in patients with PTSD.
- Help her understand his suffering. Research online with her to read about the symptoms and treatments of PTSD. Let her see she is not alone and that the things she’s feeling has a name, and more importantly, a solution.